Sunday, September 18, 2011

"Fried" cabbage and slow cooked corned beef

Hello again sweet readers!  I have got lots to share with you tonight!!  I am gonna start with some things I cooked up a few days ago and then yesterday.  It's been cold (sometimes) here in Indy.  All of my Indy readers...ya'll know what I mean by sometimes.  One day its 40 degrees and the next its 80.  There is NEVER a dull moment when dealing with Midwest weather.  Never. 

So, anyway the colder weather combined with my efforts to branch out and experiment with and eat a broader variety of vegetables than normal led me to buying a nice big shiny head of cabbage!  I bought it a week or so ago with the intentions of making a pot of boiled cabbage and sausage similar to how my beloved sweet momma used to make it (RIP momma, love you).  I did make that pot of cabbage and that post is coming up next, but I also managed to squeeze in another use out of it.  If you don't know, a head of cabbage goes a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG way.  Like, the stuff seems never ending!  It is most certainly a great BANG for your BUCK! 

So, one night this past week I had a friend over for dinner.  It just so happened to be the same day that I had left a super yummy corned beef in the slow cooker all day (when I came home it smelled HEAVENLY in my house!)  The corned beef was effortless.  I opened it, I poured one cup of reduced sodium beef broth in my slow cooker, added the meat and seasoning pack, turned on the slow cooker and walked away.  DONE.  Insert picture here...  :-)

Mmmmmmm.  So good!

Slow cookers are wonderful~!  :-)

Back to the regularly scheduled blogging! 

Not knowing I would have a dinner guest until it happened, I hadn't planned to make anything else so I need to throw something together quickly.  Then, I got to thinking about that cabbage and a version of "fried" cabbage I had eaten several weeks ago that had been given to me on a plate of food from a Sunday dinner.  Ya'll that cabbage was good, but there was not one single thing about it that was weight loss friendly.  Zero. Zilch. Nada.  So, anyway back to the point....all this led me to thinking...."I can totally make a weight loss friendly version of "fried" cabbage" and so, I DID!  :-)

Ingredients:
1/4 or so (honestly, I didn't measure it, I just cut it up until it was enough) head of cabbage, chopped (note---I used about 1/4 of the whole head of cabbage, not 1/4 cup!!)
1/4 cup or so (again, no measuring, just eyeballed it) chopped onion
salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste
cooking spray

Simplicity....

Preheat a pan on medium heat.  Add the onions and saute them until soft...


Add the cabbage.  Season.  Stir.  Cooking for about 15 minutes until the cabbage is soft, but still crisp...



 Wha-la!  That's it.  You just made "fried" cabbage. 

Now, I am sure there are TONS of variations that can be done with this.  TONS.  As you can see by the lack of measuring, it was a total experiment to me (as most of my cooking is) and it worked out just fine (as most of my cooking does)!  So, experiment, have fun, learn something new, enjoy, and PLAY with your FOOD people! 

For the other side with dinner (requested by my dinner guest) was a side salad...just for kicks, I took a picture of that too! 


Yumminess on  plate looks a little something like this....


Now, on that day, as hard as I tried.... I could not finish it all.  The pouch was not having it.  I managed to get my protein first and the majority of my cabbage in, but the salad didn't stand a chance for me that night.  All of you fellow WLS'ers know....the pouch is the boss!  

Well, that's all for this one folks....up next....that pot of boiled cabbage I mentioned!

Till next time (which will be in like a few minutes, LOL),

Lots of love,

Autumn
 



No comments:

Post a Comment