Sunday, September 18, 2011

French's Tangy Ranch Chicken & roasted veggies!

Last post of the night!  Whew!  I gotta give credit where credit is due. This one comes from the recipe makers at French's. :-)

I noticed this recipe on the back of the bottle of mustard I bought last week.


It's called Tangy Ranch Chicken and it caught my attention  (haha, that rhymed, lol)!  A couple of minor tweaks from French's original ingredients and it's a lovely WLS friendly dish! For four servings, French's suggests using:
2/3 cup ranch dressing
3 tbsp brown sugar
1/3 cup French's yellow mustard
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts

I am single and I do not have any children, so I just wanted one serving of this.  Now, I am not a math whiz by any stretch of the imagination {I am a social worker...we don't do math..., nah, eh-uh, nope; no math! ;-)} and frankly, I don't aim to get things perfect!  Most often when I cook, I just throw things together and use whatever amounts (measured out) seem fitting.  So, for one serving of the Tangy Ranch Chicken, I just guesstimated how much of the sauce I would need for one chicken breast. 

I used:
one boneless skinless chicken breast

INSERT RANDOM, BUT TOTALLY AWESOME FACT:
(I scored a packet of five individually wrapped chicken breasts for $3 tonight at Kroger!!)...


Continue ingredients list after inserting random, but totally awesome fact!...   :-)

1/8 cup FAT FREE ranch dressing
1/8 cup mustard
1/2 tsp splenda brown sugar

There was some sauce left over, but hey...it happens!


In a small bowl, mix together the mustard and the ranch until well combined.  Add in the splenda brown sugar and mix well...

Hahhaha!  Pay no mind to the jar of pickles in the background...pre-dinner
 nibbles (probably part of the reason I couldn't finish my dinner~! 
Ah, how I heart pickles...  :-)


Then, put the chicken breast into the sauce mixture.  Stir the sauce onto the chicken breast until it is fully covered...


Let it marinade in the fridge for 30 minutes.

While that's working, prep your veggies for roasting!  I had a bit of broccoli and cauliflower left over from last week that needed to be used.  If  you have never tried roasting your veggies, you SHOULD!  It gives them such a sweet taste because all of the natural sugars brown up and the veggies get nice and crisp and brown on the edges....SO GOOD!  :-)

To roast the broccoli and cauliflower I used:

About 1 1/2 cups of the veggies
salt and pepper to taste
a sprinkle of Molly McButter seasoning
olive oil cooking spray

Pre-heat your oven to 400.  Line a baking sheet with foil.  Spray with Olive Oil spray.  Put the veggies on the baking sheet and spray with more olive oil spray.  Sprinkle them with S & P and the butter seasoning.  Using your hands, mix it all together well, making sure the veggies are well coated with the seasonings and spray. 

Pop them in the oven for 30 minutes and wha-la!... Super delish, crisp, sweet & savory roasted veggies....


During the last 8 minutes or so of the veggies roasting, get the chicken out of the fridge.  Pre-heat your Foreman style grill (mine is Hamilton Beach and works just as well) for five minutes.  Then, spray with cooking spray and add the chicken.  I poured some of the extra sauce on top of mine...


Grill for about 7-10 minutes and ENJOY!  The sugar helped to create a super yummy and sweet golden layer of goodness to the chicken.  The mustard gave it a nice TANG and the ranch made it savory!  All in All, it was GOOD!  I for sure see myself making this again! 


Now, the chicken and veggies combined provided me a super yummy dinner plate....One that I was mentally ready to devour.  Packed with lots of protein and fiber goodness....


Little did I know the BOSS (a.k.a. my pouch) had a different plan again this evening....I couldn't even finish half of it...


O'well~!  The boss is in charge over here...  Leftovers will be great for lunch tomorrow! 

Well, finally, sweet readers I have come to the end of blogging tonight!  My apologies for putting them all up at once, but as mentioned in a previous post, this semester of Grad school (I am working on my Master's degree in Social Work) is not taking it easy on me!  Combined with working full time, doing a 20 hour per week work based practicum, and teaching Zumba four days a week, and dealing with all of the other responsibilities of life, I manage to stay quite busy!

I am so thankful for you taking the time to read my blog posts.  More than anything, I hope the postings help you with creative ideas for eating or inspire you or encourage or motivate you in some way.  Managing this blog is definitely helpful for me as a great outlet for my cooking experiments, emotional ups and downs, hi points in this journey and low points, and everything in between, but it is also my way of paying it forward to all of my readers!  Even if only one thing I say or one recipe I share makes a difference for even just one single person, then it is worth every word typed and the time taken to type it! 

I am so happy to report that I am still going strong on my new goals.  The motivation and drive I was lacking for so many months is back in FULL FORCE and I LOVE it!  I can not wait to lose all of this 20 + lbs I gained (it was actually 24lbs total).  Which, by the way I am happy to report I have lost 10 of those disgusting pounds already!!  So, here to keepin on keepin on~!

Everyday as you go through your journey, whatever your journey may be; remember you DESERVE to be happy and healthy and you are 100% capable of achieving EVERY single one of your goals!  Work hard, stay committed, eat right, be active, drink lots of water, and PRAY, PRAY, PRAY!  Do those things, and I promise you, you will watch your goals be met right before your very eyes!

Till next time sweet readers....

Lots of Love,

Autumn

No comments:

Post a Comment