Thursday, June 23, 2011

Double meat and veggie egg fritatta---SO GOOD!

I thought of making this dish when I read Barbie's recipe on her blog at http://plusizedbarbie.blogspot.com/I follow her blog and she often shares some great stuff!  When I saw this one, I knew I wanted to make something like it because, I too had a gabillion and one eggs in my fridge.  I thought about making egg salad, but then I decided to go this route.  I've been thinking it up in my head for a while, everyday thinking of something else I could add to make it yummy...and finally, I came up with this.  It was sort of an experiment....and it was a success, lemme tell ya!  Oh, and I got kinda picture happy on this one...so there are LOTS of them! 



Here is the ingredients list::


1lb honeysuckle turkey breakfast sausage
3-4 oz turkey peperoni, chopped
14 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup cup milk
3-4 tablespoons of yellow mustard
1 tbsp dried mustard
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1tbsp chopped garlic (heaping)
5 fresh mushrooms, stems removed, chopped
3 roma tomatoes, chopped
2 cups shredded cheese
cooking spray
S & P
 

Hefty list, eh?  But...this is very simple to make!


First, brown the sausage in a non-stick pan...(yes, I still spray cooking spray in non-sticks)...


SN:  That is NOT grease in the skillet...turkey breakfast sausage puts
off ZERO grease.  That is b/c I used this pan to brown some 
BBQ pork loin prior to this & b/c I used a crap ton of cooking spray!


While that is browning up, chop and prep all of the fresh veggies and have them on standby...


Before you chop the mushrooms, wipe them down with a dry paper towel...

The tomatoes didn't make the picture...but that's okay...you will see why in a second....

Once the sausage is browned, add in the chopped onion and bell pepper. Cook the dish until they are almost soft, about five minutes. 
Also, in this step add the tbsp of dried mustard and mix into the dish.



Meanwhile, chop the 3-4 oz of turkey pepperoni...


Then, add in the mushrooms, garlic, and chopped turkey pepperoni and cook just a couple of more minutes...



That would be the HEAPING tbsp of chopped garlic!  LOL...

Pour the meats and veggies mixture into a large baking dish. 


Then, top with the fresh cut roma tomatoes...

The tomatoes do not get cooked prior to this step....

Then, using one cup of shredded cheese, spread a layer of it on top of the meat and veggies....


Now, crack all of your eggs open into a bowl and add the milk and yellow mustard, salt and pepper, too...
See that...in the upper left corner?  That's the yellow mustard!  It give this dish a nice KICK in flavor!!

Side note:  I started off with 10 eggs, thinking that would be plenty....it wasn't!  So, I added four more and it worked well.  Pour the egg mixture over the dish, spreading it evenly around...



Pop the dish in the oven at 350 for about 40 minutes.  It'll look a little something like this....doesn't it look so good....???!!!???!!!  :-)


BUT, it gets BETTER!!  Remember that remaining cup of shredded cheese...?  Yup, it goes here...!  Sprinkle it on top of the baked dish like so....


Place the dish under the broiler on HI for about five minutes.  I did five minutes and mine was fine, but stay close and keep a close eye, you don't want to ruin this dish after all of this by burning it!!!

Oh, my Heavens, doesn't it look scrum-did-ily-ump-tious?!?!?!

Let is sit a while so it can cool and then cut into it!  This here was my first piece and I was very pleased!  It is SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO good, y'all~!  Protein packed and low carb~!  Cannot beat that!

This piece looks GIGANTANORMOUS in this pic, but it really wasn't all that big...LOL!

I've been eating on it all week...breakfast, lunch, and dinner...I've got the dish about half way gone now.  I will continue to work on this one.  I can'tlet any of it go to waste...it's FAR to good for that!

I really hope y'all try this one...and even more I sure hope you like it! 

Till next time...

Lots of Love,
Autumn


1 comment: