Wednesday, June 15, 2011

If smells could talk....

...they would say, Crock Pot Roasted Chicken is the BOMB! 


I came home today and walked in the front door to a yummy aroma of roasted chicken!  It smells goooooooood!  I went straight into the kitchen to find this....

Doesn't it look perty ya'll?

I took the lid to the crock pot off and tried to get me a little bite of the chicken....and THE WHOLE CHICKEN FELL APART!!!  It is SO TENDER! 

Allow me to back up and share how this CROCK POT ROASTED CHICKEN came to be.

A couple of months ago I was blog browsing, which I do frequently.  I have a few favorites that I often lurk upon
:-).  Some of the blogs have GREAT recipes, ideas, stories, etc and they are all full of motivation and courage.  One day I stumbled across a new blog and found a recipe for crock pot roasted chicken.  Of course, being the scatter brain that I am, I cant remember which blog I found it on and I didn't write it down.  Regardless, I've had this crock pot roasted chicken on my brain every since.  So, finally while at the grocery store on Sunday, I bought a 5lb whole chicken (got it on sale for $.98/lb!!) and today, I roasted it, well technically, the crock pot roasted it!  LOL. 

Since I couldn't remember and/or find the recipe I had originally saw on whichever blog, I just did a search for Crock Pot Roasted Chicken and a bunch of different versions came up.  They all have the same basic idea and ingredients.  This one is another versatile recipe that can be altered to fit whatever tastes you and/or your family likes!!

Here's what I used (very, very, very simple)
5lb whole chicken
Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder, Seasoned Salt
Foil
Olive Oil Cooking Spray
Chopped onion (see notes below)
Chopped garlic (see notes below)

Yep, that's it!

First, roll several medium sized foil balls and put them in the bottom of the crock pot.  It'll look a little something like this...

Next, rinse the chicken well and pat dry with paper towels.  Spray one side of it, liberally, with olive oil spray...


Sprinkle seasonings (whichever kind you like) all over oiled side.  Rub into chicken very well, even under the skin of the chicken onto the actual meat.  Place the seasoned side down into the crock pot and do the same thing to the other side.  It'll look a little something like this....


I prepped my chicken last night.  When I took it out of the fridge this morning, I sprayed an extra layer of cooking spray on it, just to help the skin brown a little better.  I set the crock pot to low at 9am this morning and when I got home at 8pm, I turned it off and like I said before, the chicken fell apart!  The recipe I found said to put it on low for 10 hours.  Mine was on low for about 11, but that's okay.  I've eaten a little bit of it and it is good!  Just in case you've forgotten, allow me to show you what it looked like...


Close up view! :-)


The chicken produced a lot of liquid in the bottom of the crock pot and I spooned it onto the chicken once I took it out of the crock pot and placed it on the serving platter.  That helped with the moisture level.  The chicken is moist, but could be more moist.  I'll have to figure out some trick for that (or if you know of one, fill me in). 

As you can see from the ingredient list and pic, the recipe I found last night also called for some chopped onion and garlic to be put into the cavity of the chicken. I only had one onion, but it was rotted so I omitted this part on this chicken.  I did add a tablespoon of chopped garlic into the cavity of the chicken, but I can not tell...I cant taste it or smell it.  So, I don't think it made a bit of difference.  Perhaps more than a tablespoon would be good for a 5lb chicken?  I dunno...? 

Either way this is good and now I have a bunch of yummy chicken that I can use for other recipes or eat just by itself!  Ya'll play with this recipe and method and let me know how it works for you!

Hope you try it (or some version of it---play with your food---make it your own!) and I hope you like it (of course you will)!!!

Till next time...

Lots of Love,
Autumn



No comments:

Post a Comment