Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Crock Pot Southwest Chicken...with a kick!

So, yesterday while laying in bed and rehabbing (following knee surgery last week) I was browsing on the RNY forum on obesityhelp.com.  I came across a post by the famous Nik (if you are part of the online bariatric community, you know who Nik is---or you live under a rock...) about southwest chicken.  It sounded simple and easy and I knew I wanted to try it.  It just so happened I had most of the ingredients on hand.  Since I am (or was until today) stuck in the house, hardly able to walk I had my little sister run to the grocery store last night and grab the rest of the things I needed.  I added a couple of things to mine that Nik didn't mention in hers, to spice it up a bit.  :)


Ingredients:
1 lb chicken breast tenders, cut into small pieces
1 jar (small) mild salsa
1 can kernal corn, drained and rinsed
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 brick 1/3 reduced fat cream cheese
2 fork fulls jarred jalapeno peppers (you can add more or less depending on how spicy you like it)



Crock pot cooking is hands down the easiest way of cooking....we've covered that, right?!?!  So, you know this takes close to zero effort and the outcome is DE-LICI-OUS. 

Cut the chicken into pieces and place it into the crock pot...



Add the salsa and fill the jar about 1/3 way full with water. Shake and add that to the crock pot...


Add the sliced jalapenos... as many or as little as you like.  With two fork fulls it gave this dish a nice kick.  I like spicy, so I could've probably been okay with more, but it was still YUMMY!


Open the corn and the beans and drain each, separately and add them into the mix...



Let the crock pot do it's magic on low for about 3.5 hours.  Then, add the block of cream cheese...



Mix in the cream cheese (which by the way is what MAKES this dish)...


Leave it on low for another 30 minutes...



The end result is this....

A warm, creamy, protein and fiber packed, incredibly delicious meal...


This one is another MUST try.  I am seriously hooked.  I've already had two bowls today!  My belly is haaapppy!  Mmmmmm-MMMMM-Mmmmmmm....so so good! 

Thanks, to Nik for the idea!  If you haven't ever seen her sight, check her out at... 

http://bariatricfoodie.blogspot.com/

Even if you are not a bariatric patient, her sight is packed full of great information for anyone trying to lead a healthy lifestyle, lose weight, etc. 

Till next time...

Lots of Love,
Autumn

No comments:

Post a Comment