Monday, December 26, 2011

Stuffed Pepper Soup...

...a.k.a HEAVEN in a bowl!  This dish was SOOOOO good, lemme tell you!!! And super easy, too (even without the good ole crock pot!)
I forget now where I originally saw a recipe for stuffed pepper soup, but seeing that recipe was the inspiration to make a pot myself.   When I made mine, I changed a few things up from the one I read.


Ingredients:
1 lb extra lean (96/4) ground beef
one large onion, finely chopped (about 2 cups)
3 bell peppers (I used yellow, orange, and red---I dislike green bell peppers---ewwwe), seeded and finely chopped (about 2 cups)
1 (15oz) can tomato sauce (no salt added-if you can find it; I couldn't, so I used the regular stuff)
2 (14.5) oz cans diced tomatoes (no salt added)
2 cups reduced sodium, fat free beef broth
1 cup instant brown rice
1 cup water
S & P and garlic powder to taste



Start by browning the meat.  Season it with S & P and garlic powder...whatever amount tastes good to you.  I never measure that stuff...just season it!  Using 96/4 ground beef will yield VERY LITTLE, if ANY fat to drain... I did not have to drain it at all.  If yours needs drained... then drain it before the next step!



While your beef is cooking, get busy chopping your veggies: onions and peppers.  I used one good sized onion and it gave me two cups of chopped onion.  I used three normal sized bell peppers and also got two cups of chopped peppers. 


Once your veggies are chopped and meat is done, add the veggies to the meat and cook for about 7 minutes, or until the veggies start to become soft and translucent.



Then, add beef broth, tomatoes, and sauce...



Stir everything together well and let soup simmer for about 30 minutes....


Meanwhile, measure out one cup of uncooked instant brown rice and put it in a microwave safe dish along with one cup of water.  Cover and follow the instructions on the box and nuke the rice till done (just takes a few minutes).  Then, fluff it with a fork...(I also sprayed the rice with a few squirts of I cant believe its not butter spray to keep it from sticking...to itself!)


...and add to the soup...

Stir the rice in well...and wha-la!  Stuffed pepper soup! 


Let me tell you....this soup is DELICIOUS!!  I divided it into one cup servings and added up the stats.  For a one cup serving of my version, it yields:
129 calories
2 g fag
297 mg sodium
15 g carbs
3 g fiber
5 g sugar
13 g protein



Pretty sweet stats if you ask me!  The soup is savory, hearty, warm, and filling!  This is definitely going in my archive....and I will for sure be making it again!


It's so simple to make and is well worth the effort.  Give it a whirl!  I bet you will be glad you did!


Till next time...


Lots of Love,


Autumn

No comments:

Post a Comment