Monday, December 26, 2011

Crock pot Italian Herb Chicken

As you might see, I love my crock pot & I use it, often.  This recipe came from the makers at McCormick, so I have no ability to take any credit for it.  As it turned out, I personally did not care for this one...waaaaay to much oregano in that little seasoning packet for my taste.  But, I took it to work and it was cleaned out...everyone that tried it said they enjoyed it. 

Ingredients:
2lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs (or breasts)
2 cans stewed tomatoes (no sodium added)
1 (6oz) can tomato paste
8 oz fresh mushrooms (which ever kind you prefer)
1 seasoning packet of McCormick Italian herb chicken seasoning for slow cookers



Put the chicken in the crock pot---no need to cut it up; it'll fall apart. :-)


 Mushrooms on chicken:


Mix the tomato paste with one can of the stewed tomatoes before adding it; just makes it easier to incorporate the paste:


Add tomatoes and paste:


Add seasoning mix:


Stir well:


Cook on low for 6-8 hours until chicken is done and tender. 

Like I mentioned before, this was to pungent on the oregano for me....I generally do not like oregano at all.  But, I had hoped this would be something I'd like anyway.  Brrrrnnnttttt....I was wrong!  O'well.  Ya win some, ya lose some...  Anyway, if you like Italian food and you are a fan of oregano flavor...give this a shot.  It's SO simple.  Put it on in the morning before work and dinner is done when you get home!  Doesn't get much  better than that!  Enjoy!

Till next time...

Lots of Love,

Autumn


PS-- The difference in the sodium on the tomatoes was shocking!  For a can of regular stewed tomatoes the sodium was 220mg per serving.  For the no sodium added, just 20mg per serving!  That is nuts!  Just one more thing to watch out for when trying to eat a healthy protein packed diet.  We need to be careful of our sodium intake!

No comments:

Post a Comment