Saturday, February 12, 2011

Autumn's chili

I have to laugh at myself b/c I remember how I used to think that making chili was so complicated,  lol.  It's really one of the easiest and quickest dishes to make!  Most of us have our own versions....here's mine.

2 lbs 93/7 lean ground beef
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
3 cans chili ready tomatoes (I used WM Great Value brand)
2 cans ranch style beans (that's the brand---black and yellow can--see pic)
2 cans chili beans (I used WM Great Value brand)
1 can (just 60z) tomato paste
1/4 cup ground cumin
1/2 cup chili powder.
S&P to taste
non-stick cooking spray

Heat pan over medium heat.  Chop onion.  Spray pan. Add onions and sprinkle with S&P.  Saute onions until soft.

Add meat.  Break up and cook until well browned. 


When meat is 3/4 way done, add half of chili powder and cumin. Stir it into the meat really well and cook until meat is fully cooked.  Add remaining chili powder and cumin and cook for about five more minutes.

I know this may seem like a crap-ton of seasoning, but trust me--it works and it's good!


When the meat is fully cooked with all seasonings, add the tomato paste and stir it into the meat well.  This will create a very thick mixture...I like thck and meaty chili...  Allow it to cook in for about 3-5 minutes, stirring all along.


Then, add the chili tomatoes and the beans and stir it all together really well.  Bring to a slight boil over medium heat.  Turn heat down to low, cover and simmer at least 30-45 minutes.

Pot-o-yummy-goodness!

Now, clearly this is a jy-nourmous pot of chili.  I make this huge batch and I do this...

Divide it into one cup containers and freeze them!  That way, all I have to do is pull one out and defrost it/nuke it for a quick protein packed lunch or dinner! 

Using the exact ingredients I used, each cup sized portion yields:

Calories: 243
Fat: 6g
Carb: 26g
Fiber: 8g
Sugar: 6g
Protein: 21g

WIN!!!!  :-)

Till next time...

Lots of Love,
Autumn

No comments:

Post a Comment